Le Premier Voyage

As we woke up yesterday morning, I glanced out the window and realized that it was the day. The sky was completely clear, with a constant north breeze that suggested an end to the cold front that had been spinning us around our mooring block for the last few days. The day had finally come to take the jib out of it's bag and really see what Zephyrus could do in open water. But even more importantly, both Megan and I would have our first opportunity to test our abilities; to find out if we can actually do this sailing thing! Over the last year or so, our planning, repairing, and preparing had unearthed quite a few worries in me. What would happen if I can't learn to sail like I had imagined? What if the the mast is not secure? Have we covered all of the legal bases for sailing? Is the keel secured? What if the engine fails and the wind dies? All of these and more had been fluttering around in my mind throughout the winter. But today was the day to face the music. Today was the day to either sink or swim, literally and figuratively. After a pleasant breakfast and a hot pot of coffee, we were under engine power put'sin out of the harbor. After we got around the buoy and into open water, the main halyard was pulled and our main sail shot up the mast. Under the power of the main, we heading out past the Lower Harbor breakwall and into dark water. As we passed the light house, reality hit when I looked at the depth gauge and it measured about 160ft. We were doing this! As we tacked and headed farther into the lake, I scrambled to the bow and set the jib sail for the first time. Now even though I have heard many sailors mention the importance of "sea legs", I have mostly excused the concept, until now. I quickly learned that all it takes is a few step at see to gained a whole new appreciation for "sea legs". Finally, after attaching the tack of the sail to the headstay, securing the jib sheet to the clew, and raising the sail, Zephyrus was at full sail for the first time ever.

What began as a test run slowly turned into a full day-sail up to the northern side of Presque-Isle. We made our first upwind tacks, which quickly improved from the first attempt that was nothing more than a chaotic mess of sheets and and winch handles to something that a courteous sailor might describe as decent. We turned on some Ernest Ranglin and lay in the sun. We discussed how we felt being over 200 feet above land with nearly all of the things that were important to us as well as how for some reason eating Gardetto's is more acceptable while cruising in the sun.

When we arrived back in the harbor, evening was quickly approaching. The breeze was still apparent, but had noticeably died down since the morning. As we let down the jib and coasted in our spot in Lower Harbor, I was filled with satisfaction. Many of my unconscious worries that had been weighing on my conscience for a long time had quickly dissolved in a matter of hours.

This marked the beginning of a summer for us; a day that I will never forget because it both symbolizes the end of my life as a "land-lubber" and the beginning to something that both satisfies a craving for adventure and provides happiness on an entirely new level than anything I've felt before.

-Corey

Comments

Unknown said…
I want to wish you guys good luck and good fun, Sounds like quite the adventure. If you make it to Sturgeon Bay WI look up Bob Dubuque. He's Mandy's uncle (and I'm her mother.) He lives on the beach and is a sailor as well.
Unknown said…
I want to wish you guys good luck and good fun, Sounds like quite the adventure. If you make it to Sturgeon Bay WI look up Bob Dubuque. He's Mandy's uncle (and I'm her mother.) He lives on the beach and is a sailor as well.
Anonymous said…
Corey, Awesome writing! I enjoyed the details, close up and personal.... a day in the life...... will be anxious to read more of your thoughts on this journey!
Take care, Diane
yermom said…
How beautifully written. My cute little boy is tucked away within the photo albums and a man had emerged. There's not a day that goes by that I don't pray for you both and I am so glad we've had this time with you still anchored in Marquette. As you prepare to officially set sail, keep your True Anchor in sight and your trust grounded in Him. Keep writing! Love, yermom
Anonymous said…
That was very well written, I felt as if I was right there with you guys! Good luck and be safe!