Family, Friends, and Cottage Things

It was very windy when we got under way from Charlevoix. Even in the canal leading out into the lake, the waves were bringing our prop out of the water on the crest of each wave. We both looked at each other with a bit of doubt, but continued on. We were following a beautiful 35 foot racing boat from Chicago for a while. We both agreed that they must have raced the Chicago to Mackinac and Port Huron to Mackinac races and were now heading home. Those boats really are another breed. While we were waiting for the Charlevoix bridge to open, this boat was showing off a bit by making quick turns and circles. I was astounded at the amazing handling of those boats. Hopefully I can watch one of those races sometime! As we headed out of harbor, the waves were every bit as big as we had imagined. I would guess 5-7 feet, from the West Northwest. We had no choice but to motor South until we reach the tip of the West Arm of Grand Traverse Bay near Northport. The waves seemed to be directly at our side all the way. It was kind of fun to just let the boat rock. We had everything secured, so just letting the boat get as tippy as possible I think helped us both appreciate the stability that a keel gives a boat. It is just so darn heavy; half the weight of the entire boat.


Once we were due East of the peninsula, we raised our sails and turned off the engine. There was a perfect Northwestern wind that blew us right down to my cottage; past Northport and Suttons Bay, around the point and right to my cottage. It was perfect timing. My folks had just arrived from Marquette five minutes before we came in. We quickly picked up our neighbors mooring ball which we had gotten permission to borrow and swam into shore. The water of Lake Michigan seemed even warmer than Huron. We had finally arrived at my cottage! This is the place that I have been enjoying nearly every summer my whole life. My Dad's Dad built a cottage in the summer when my Dad was about ten years old. Because my Grandpa was a school principal, they had the summers off. So the family would come from the Detroit area and spend the entire summer playing catch, swimming, and enjoying the Northern Michigan weather. Although I haven't been able to spend full summers at the cottage, the atmosphere that my dad enjoyed growing up still exists. Since I can remember, the cottage has been a place where nothing ever changes; where that sliver of summer magic is always waiting for me. It was incredible to be able to arrive by boat this year. I feel that I know the place a bit better after navigating there not by a car via M22, but by sail and United States Geological Survey chart. Maybe next time I'll arrive by parachute or hot air balloon.


Since we've been here, the weather has been incredible. Our days have been full of good conversation, refreshing swims, bonfires, rolling hills of cherry orchards, and family time. Megan's family was able to come over from Mio to spend a few days at the cottage. My friends Tony and Laura from Petoskey were able to come down for a couple days as well. On the 29th, Megan turned 21. I took here to Suttons Bay at midnight and toasted shots of Washington Apples and Samuel Adams seasonal beers. The next day the whole family had a lot of food and she opened her gifts. After dinner we went into Traverse City to enjoy some dancing and a few more drinks. Fun was had by all. Earlier today I was thinking about all the great times we have had. It is funny to think that if I picked almost any day in the last two weeks and dropped it into any other summer of my life, it would undoubtedly be the highlight of that summer. I suppose that makes me a bit spoiled... but it also is a reason to be thankful for yesterday, today, and tomorrow! 

Sometimes I develop a bit of anxiety when I think of many of my friends that are pursuing lofty career goals right out of university. I realize that the early twentys are a time to pay one's dues in order to reach one's dreams. I suppose that they have a point. They will be making salary paychecks, purchasing houses, expensive toys soon. Sometimes when I compare those things to my stress-free sailing in the Great Lakes my plan doesn't seem so wise anymore. But when I take that logic one step further, I realize that the only difference between them and me is our timeline. I want to learn life skills like how to react to adversity (surviving Lake Superior in June!) or how to develop relationships with different types of people (Dave from Baraga, Mark from Houghton, or Ian from England) before I wholeheartedly dive into a life long career. These are real skills that I think many people sacrifice for career objectives. And another thing, often times I feel that because I'm not pursuing some lofty goal at the moment, I must be a bum. But really, I will be graduating with an MBA in just three years, with marketable degrees, social skills, and a network of people we have met along the way not based on business ambitions, but on stable friendships. Alright, enough of the ranting. Perhaps its just my own paranoia, but sometimes I just need to express that because someone doesn't have a large bank account or a successful medical practice at the moment doesn't mean that they will never have those things.

-Corey


Comments

Afan said…
Intriguing thoughts. Keep up the great writing!
Afan
Bethany said…
The experiences you are having on the lakes are far more valuable than a fancy car or house.