On the road again...

Well, where do I start? How about with "Sawwat-di-kup!". This was the first Thai phrase that I learned. It is the standard greeting equivalent to an English "hello" or "how are ya?". After a few days in Thailand, the language barrier has been the single most inhibiting thing. It is similar to being dropped in a boxing ring after many days of training, with the bleachers packed with fans cheering for me, with my face oiled, and the opponent well studied... But with my hands tied behind my back.

I have began a little pocket book of phrases. I now know almost 30 different words and phrases. But even so, the best I can do is mutter an embarrassing and usually untimely few words which are usually taken not as constructive but entertaining. I've grown used to being the butt of most jokes just because I'm helpless to defend myself! But enough of that. I'm coming along just fine.

After two nights near Kao San, Megan finally was able to get her Thai phone working. She was able to get a hold of her best friend Nicki who is studying in Bangkok. Ironically, Nicki was home in Rayong for a holiday break. We decided to take the first bus to Rayong which is about 2.5 hours Southeast of Bangkok. After what seemed to me a very in depth discussion of direction with the local 7/11 worker, we found our way to the bus station. The trip went very smoothly. I am impressed with the bust system in Thailand. We purchased a ticket for about $3 and the bus actually left at the scheduled time (as apposed two or three hours later in other countries like Ghana or Cote D'Ivoire). It was really great to see the countryside outside of Bangkok. For most of the trip, we had a fairly macro-perspective from the elevated freeway that is built 100 or more feet above the ground. The view consisted mostly of factories and marshlands. Occasionally there would be a small village or temple, but it was obvious that the hinterlands of Bangkok are used primarily for industrial purposes.

When we arrived in Rayong, Megan had the bus drop us off at the local mall where we planned to meet Nicki (bot her best friend and host-sister). The mall is a three story complex that serves as the meeting spot in town. If we had come from anywhere else but Bangkok, it would have been overwhelming with its business, cartoon animation, and fluorescent lights. We met up with Nicki and a couple of her friends and spent some time walking around and eating Japanese food. Then headed back to her house for the night. On the way, we took a pit stop at Nicki's grandparents property where they put on a small Sunday food market. We met all of the family and had a pleasant dinner about the time the market vendors were closing up. As we mingled with the family, I began to see a pattern forming; as time passes, Megan's celebrity status increases at a velocity of 6 units per hour as my level of competency to perform basic tasks increases at a velocity of -3 units per hour! So, my first goal in Thailand is to be able to represent myself in a conversation and perform basic tasks like order food or buy a taxi. We arrived back at Nicki's house and went to bed just as it began to rain. Wish me luck in this foreign land! I'm thankful that I've been blessed with patience and the ability to remain relaxed even in such a vulnerable and dependent state!

C

Comments

Afan said…
Awesome...... keep it up Corey!
Mom
Anonymous said…
Bo$$!